Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shadows(!), Heightmaps and Cataclysm

So finally I found my mistake within the Shadow-Setters - yay!

Imagr.eu
Imagr.eu
(Remember: ADT-Shadows only appear if you have deactivated dynamic shadows!)

Also I think, I've found the correct way WoW handles it's heightmap:
Imagr.eu

You can find my comment on it at
WoW.Dev


To the new Addon, Blizzard announced, Cataclysm:
The terrain-phasing looks promising, even if it'll need much effort in implementing the new format(partly has been leaked to WoW.Dev already, even if it may change) aswell as implementing this features to Emulators(do they already support WotLK-Phasing? or still not?).

3 comments:

Kody said...

Hey Ive been trying to do something forever, Im trying to find a way to export the terrain info from the ADT as a high resolution gray-scale heightmap for the purpose of recreating warsong gulch in another 3d engine, do you have any way of getting a heightmap? I downloaded taliis earlier but the height map that it has isnt what im trying to get. Do you know how to create a heightmap? any help would be great as ive had no luck so far with this

DJRehab said...

The heightmap u extract with Taliis IS the correct heightmap.... Stretch the heightmap over a 512x512 terrain and scale it x0.05 and it will look pretty dam close (I do this with Freeworld3D and it is miraculous!)

Now if the import function would only work correctly, we would be in business ;)

Anonymous said...

Using the Kalimdor ADT 40-29 (infront of Org) stretched over 512 and scaled to 0.05 does not come out looking like the mapped area in WoW. I've noticed that postings giving examples of this in Freeworld often have a 128x128 heightmap extracted through Taliis, but the ones I extract are all 144x144 and I'm wondering if this may be causing the oddities I'm seeing. Any thoughts on this?